FDC and its predecessors have been in the property business for more than 50 years and have developed over 200 projects and 3,000 hectares of land. Even as FDC strengthens its position in its core real estate trading business, it continues to evolve, searching for opportunities to maximize the use of its land bank of more than 2,000 hectares. For this reason, the property business now includes not only the real estate trading business but recurring rental operations and hospitality business which now account for 16% of its net income from the property segment.
FDC and its predecessors have been in the property business for more than 50 years and have developed over 200 projects and 3,000 hectares of land.
Even as FDC strengthens its position in its core real estate trading business, it continues to evolve, searching for opportunities to maximize the use of its land bank of more than 2,000 hectares. For this reason, the property business now includes not only the real estate trading business but recurring rental operations and hospitality business which now account for 38% of net income from the property segment.
Our legacy property business has continued to be a strong pillar on which to build our company. Comprising real estate trading, rental operations and hospitality, the property group delivered revenues of Php31.5B and Php8.8B in net income (net of eliminations) in 2018. Filinvest Alabang, Inc. (FAI), the developer of the master-planned CBD Filinvest City (FC), also saw a 58% increase in revenue growth in 2018, driven in part by the rise of property values.
REAL ESTATE TRADING
The group continues to provide real estate products to suit different housing needs. Lots or houses-and-lots, classified as horizontal housing, are located outside the city limits. Mid-rise buildings (MRBs) are structures of no more than 15 storeys grouped around a common amenity area with a pool and clubhouse, typically located on the outskirts of the city and close to public transportation. High-rise buildings (HRBs) are conveniently located in the central business districts and provide sanctuary close to where people work and play. Filinvest Land, Inc. (FLI), the group’s publicly listed subsidiary targets the affordable/ middle-income market.
- FLI launched 17 new projects and expansion phases worth Php16.0B in 2018 all over the country, as far south as Davao and Zamboanga. More than half the launches were MRBs.
- As a pioneer in offering MRBs, FLI now has 20 MRB communities with a combined total of 100 buildings.
- The group has five HRB projects that are under construction close to MRT stops along EDSA, the main artery of Metro Manila.
FC is the group’s first master-planned urban development in Alabang and is managed by FAI, which is 80% owned by FDC and 20% by FLI. FAI effectively has beneficial ownership of 79 hectares of prime CBD land. FC has come of age and is the main CBD south of Metro Manila. FC hosts the largest agglomeration of big box and car retailers, operational high-rise buildings (57), hospitality (1,680 keys), medical (3 hospitals), and high- rise residentials. It is home to FLI’s Festival Mall, the largest mall in south Metro Manila with a GLA of 231,000 square meters.
In the last four years, the gross floor area (GFA) built in FC was 250% more than that built in the previous four years. Over the years, third party developers have contributed to the growth in GFA as opposed to the early years when the group itself seeded and pump-primed FC. Accommodation value of its property prices has grown by a CAGR of 17% over the last five years, with the highest sales value closing at Php351,000 per sqm. FC’s location is expected to become even more strategic with the linking of the South Rail project as well as the completion of the NLEXSLEX connector road in 2021, both of which will be along its perimeter.
- 2018 saw the launch of the enhanced masterplan for the 244-hectare estate, as part of its pursuit of LEED v4 Neighborhood Development Plan Gold Certification. Two sections of the Spectrum Linear, a walking path touted as a “greenway” were completed. The tree-lined one-kilometer pathway will allow residents and visitors to enjoy more outdoor activities.
- FAI received awards from the Asia Pacific Property Awards in 2018 as The Enclave Alabang was name Best Residential Development in the Philippines while Botanika Nature Residences was given a five-star rating for Best Apartment in the Philippines.
At the end of 2018, the group had 747,000 square meters of gross leasable office and retail space, 250% more than its level five years ago. In addition to FLI’s 31 rental properties, the group also has commercial lot leases with approximately 307,000 square meters of GLA in Filinvest City managed by FAI.
The group is on track to reach 1.7 million square meters of office and retail GLA by 2023 with the following existing buildings as well as those in the pipeline.
- 18 existing buildings with approximately 288,000 square meters of GLA in Northgate Cyberzone in Filinvest City in Alabang.
- Additional office space to be added in 2019 in the soon-to-be completed 100 West in Makati. Together with other on-going projects located in Ortigas, Makati, Quezon City and Binondo, these MM buildings will contribute another 223,000 square meters.
- Outside of Metro Manila, the Clark hub has commenced with two office buildings completed and there are another two on the way in Filinvest Mimosa+ Leisure City in Clark Freeport Zone. The Cebu hub has a total of 48,000 sqm. Dumaguete and Dagupan will be joining the provincial office pipeline.
Retail areas to complement existing residential and work areas
- With growth in the south, foot traffic in Festival Mall has increased over the years, reaching an average of 120,000 people on weekdays and 160,000 people on weekends.
- Eight new malls to be completed in the next two years.
LOGISTIC AND INDUSTRIAL PARK
New Clark City will host Phase 1 covering 64 hectares under FLI’s Cyberzone Properties, Inc. and will start operations in 2019. The group’s recurring rental base will be boosted with lot leases as well as ready built factories and logistic warehouses for lease.
From the first hotel that opened in 2010, Crimson Resort and Spa Mactan, the group now manages almost 1,800 rooms (as of April 2019). The jewel in the group’s hospitality portfolio is the exquisite Crimson Resort and Spa Boracay, which opened its doors in November 2018, coinciding with the island’s reopening. Together with Crimson properties in Mactan and Alabang, as well as the Quest hotels in Cebu, Clark and the newest one in Tagaytay, the hotel group now manages a total of six hotels and two golf courses.
The Filinvest Hospitality Corporation (FHC) and hotel management firm Chroma Hospitality, Inc. (CHI), a joint venture with Archipelago International, have worked hard to give customers a next-level experience. This is evidenced by the avalanche of awards the various hotels continue to receive.
The group has 10 new hotels and expansions in the planning and construction stages that are expected to add approximately 2,600 rooms to the hotel portfolio, with a target to reach 5,000 keys by 2023. The new developments are expected to be located in Mactan, Puerto Princesa, Cubao, Dumaguete, Cebu, Zamboanga, Clark, Tagaytay and Filinvest City across the Crimson, Quest and Grafik brands.
CRIMSON RESORT & SPA MACTAN
- 2018 World Luxury Hotel Awards – Country Winner, Luxury Beach Resort
- 2018 World Luxury Spa Awards
- Continent Winner – Luxury Beach Resort Spa
- Country Winner – Luxury Resort Spa
- 2018 World Luxury Restaurant Awards
- Regional Winner – Asian Fusion: Azure
- Country Winner Luxury – Beachside Restaurant: Azure
- 2018 Haute Grandeur Global Awards – Winner
- Sunstar Best of Cebu – Restaurant of the Year: Enye by Chele Gonzalez
- Sunstar Best of Cebu – Best Concept Party: FOAM
- Sunstar Best of Cebu – Best Resort Spa: AUM Spa
- 2018 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence – Winner
- Asean Green Hotel Award – Winner
- Anahaw Philippine Sustainable Tourism Certification
- 2018 Conde Nast Johansens Service Excellence Award – Winner
- Asia Spa Awards – Romantic Hotel/Resort of the Year
- Philippine Tatler Dining - Top 100 Restaurants: Saffron
- Philippine Tatler Dining - Top 100 Restaurants: Azure
- Philippine Tatler Dining - Top 100 Restaurants: Enye
- Philippine Tatler Dining - 20 New Best Restaurant Awards: Enye
CRIMSON HOTEL FILINVEST CITY MANILA
- ASEAN MICE Venue Award – from the 2018 ASEAN Tourism Association Awards
- ANAHAW - Philippine Sustainable Tourism Certification
(The certification is given to hotels and resorts with practices and techniques that save energy, water, fuel, and other resources, reduce waste and carbon emissions to improve the overall operational efficiency, to increase profit and at the same time, to create a more sustainable tourism industry.)
- 2018 Agoda Circle Awardee
- Phil. Tatler Dining Best Restaurants 2018
QUEST HOTEL AND CONFERENCE CENTER CEBU
- ASEAN MICE Venue - ASEAN Tourism Standard
- Certificate of Excellence - Puso Bistro & Bar
- Anahaw Certification (Level 2) - Philippine Sustainable Tourism Certification
- Business Hotel of the Year 2018 in Central Visayas by the Travel and Hospitality Awards
- Luxury Business Hotel Of The Year - Philippines 2018 from the Luxury Travel Guide
- Most Outstanding Business Hotel - Global Luxury Hotels and Spa Awards from Luxe Life Magazine
- Sunstar Best of Cebu - Best Meeting Venue
- Sunstar Best of Cebu - Best Buffet Breakfast
QUEST PLUS CONFERENCE CENTER CLARK
- Virtus Award- 2018 Associate of the Year
- Environmental Champion Award - from Environmental Practitioners’ Association - Dec. 2018
Having grown Filinvest City from what was known as the “stock farm” in the mid1990s to the largest CBD in southern Metro Manila today, the group has proven itself as a township developer. With this core strength, FDC has set out to use leverage this experience in other areas.
Having identified the areas north of Metro Manila as the new growth corridor, the group has invested in two townships in central Luzon. Filinvest Mimosa+ Leisure City (the former Clark Mimosa Estate) is a 201-hectare property where the group has hospitality, leisure, retail, office and residential developments. Under FLI, the group already has two office buildings, with an additional two to rise in 2019. In addition, the hotel group manages Quest Hotel and Conference CenterClark as well as Clark Mimosa Golf courses. 2019 will also see the start of a lifestyle mall, four residential towers, one high-end residential tower, a strip mall and a 361-room expansion of our Quest Plus Hotel. Recently, the road networks were expanded to four lanes while underground utility lines were built and upgraded. The group has a provisional license granted by the Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corporation (PAGCOR) for a casino integrated resort in Filinvest Mimosa+ and it has allotted more than US$200M to this project, which will include a casino, lifestyle mall, five-star hotel and events venue.
In addition, FLI entered into a joint venture with the Bases Conversion Development Authority for a 288-hectare township in New Clark City (NCC). BCDA recently approved the development plan for Filinvest at NCC, a future-ready and environmentally-friendly mixed-use township. It is envisioned to bring together top international locators and investors within a sustainable business and industrial community supported by retail and residential developments. The 64-hectare Phase 1 is targeted for completion by year-end 2019. It will start with an industrial zone for logistics, tech and light industrial companies. This will be the group’s first investment in the Logistics Park space.